Thank you for attending ASTA Legislative Day 2019!
Join us next year as we continue the conversation and the fight on Capitol Hill. Save the Date!
ASTA Legislative Day 2020 l February 3-4, 2020 l Washington, DC
Our two-day program includes:
- A detailed overview of ASTA's legislative priorities
- Exclusive training on lobbying
- Pre-scheduled meetings on The Hill with your Members of Congress and their staff
- Networking with your peers from across the country
- Tips on following up with your elected officials.
Here are the issues we'll be debating this year!
Industry Education: With so many new Members of Congress sworn in this year, we plan to put more emphasis this year on telling the story of our resilient and growing industry to the members of 116th Congress. Educating these lawmakers on your business is an important first step to ensuring our voices are heard on the issues that matter most.
- Bolstering Funding for TSA and Its Workforce: The Aviation Passenger Security Fee was created to pay for the costs of providing civil aviation security services to, but since 2013 Congress has been diverting over $1 billion per year of these fees to deficit reduction and away from aviation security services. The Funding for Aviation Screeners and Threat Elimination Restoration (FASTER) Act would eliminate this diversion of passenger security fees and give the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) access to revenue to ensure that airport screeners receive pay during any future government shutdown.
- Independent Contractor Harmonization: Today, there is a lot of confusion about whether workers should be classified as employees or independent contractors, with multiple agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Department of Labor using different tests for making this determination. At Leg Day we’ll be supporting The Harmonization of Coverage Act, which adopts the IRS’ “right-of-control” test across the board. Given the growth in agency usage of independent advisors in our industry, getting clarity here will be critical.
Take Grassroots Action with ASTA